Join Telangana News Online WhatsApp Group for latest updates
The Telangana Legislature is the state legislature of Telangana State.
The Telangana Legislature consists of:
- Telangana Legislative Assembly - The lower house, consists of 119 members.
- Telangana Legislative Council - The upper house, consists of 40 members.
The Budget session of the Telangana Legislature began on March 10, 2016. Governor ESL Narasimhan addressed a joint sitting of the budget session. The Governor, in his speech, listed out the development and welfare programs taken by his government.
- Government has exhibited strength, resilience and commitment to meet the needs of the people in its 21-month journey so far
- Government has plans to achieve a Gross State Domestic Product of 15 per cent in the coming financial year.
- Budget for the coming financial year will be prepared ensuring that the resources are effectively utilized to address needs of the people and meet their aspirations.
- inter-State issue of sharing the Godavari River water has been resolved by the government by signing a historic agreement with Maharashtra.
- Economy of the State was slated to grow at 11.7 percent in 2015-16 as against national growth rate of 8.6 percent
- Telangana State's GSDP was estimated at Rs. 5.83 lakh crore in 2015-16
- The per captia income was likely to increase to Rs. 1,43,023 in 2015-16 from Rs. 1,29,182 in 2014-15, compared to national per captia income of Rs. 93,231 in 2015-16
- Mission Bhageeratha aims to provide treated water to 6,100 villages and 12 municipalities by December
- Arrangements are in place to provide nine hours of free power supply to agriculture sector in day time
The Telangana State Budget for the financial year 2016-17 was presented by Minister of Finance Etela Rajender on March 14, 2016.
The Opposition in the Legislature criticized that the budget is far from reality and is a mere jugglery of numbers.