Join Telangana News Online WhatsApp Group for latest updates
Telugu Desam Party
Telugu Desam Party, popularly called TDP, is a political party which was formed on March 29, 1982 by NT Rama Rao. It’s current President is N Chandrababu Naidu.
In the 8th Lok Sabha 1984, Telugu Desam Party was the second largest party with 39 members. In the recent 2009 elections, the Telugu Desam Party won 92 seats in the 12th Andhra Pradesh Assembly.
TDP Telangana Unit
Telugu Desam Party has formed party unit for Telangana on 24 March 2014. Party chief N Chandrababu Naidu has announced the details of TDP unit to the media at a press conference arranged at his residence.
Three committees are formed for Telangana. The TDP Telangana Committee is formed with 16 members. L Ramana has been appointed as TDP election committee president. Errabelli Dayakar Rao is appointed TDP working president and Motkupalli Narasimhulu is the convener of the committee. Former minister and Rajya Sabha member T Devender Goud will act as advisor and Ravula Chandrasekhar Reddy is the manifesto committee chairman.
Committee for Elections
- Advisor: T Devender Goud
- President: L Ramana
- Working president: Errabelli Dayakar Rao
- Convenor: Motkupalli Narasimhulu
- General Secretaries: Ramesh Rathod, T Srinivas Yadav, Revuri Prakash Reddy, Nama Nageswara Rao
- Members: Mandava Venkateshwara Rao, T Prakash Goud, Ali Masqati, Pothuganti Ramulu, Y Annapurnamma, Revanth Reddy, Yegga Mallesham, R Seetharama Rao
- Convener: Ravula Chandrasekhar Reddy
- Members: Tummala Nageswara Rao, Danasuri Anusuya (Seethakka), A Uma Madhav Reddy, Bodakunti Venkateswarulu, Kothakota Dayakar Reddy, M Hanumatha Rao, Arvind Kumar Goud, Vem Narender Reddy, Alladi Raj Kumar, Syed Yusuf Ali, E Peddi Reddy, A Narsa Reddy, Chiliveru Kasinath, M Safan Dev, G Sayanna
Telugu Desam Party has contested in all the six assembly by-polls that were held in 2012 in the Telangana region. The results were disappointing as the party failed to win in any of the bypoll. Jogu Ramanna, Gampa Govardhan and Nagam Janardhan Reddy who were with the Telugu Desam Party have resigned and shifted their loyalties to the TRS party which necessitated the by-polls in those constituencies.
TDP MPs from Telangana
- Nama Nageshwar Rao - Khammam constituency
TDP MLAs from Telangana
- Hanumanth Shinde - Jukkal constituency
- L Ramana - Jagtial constituency
- Gangula Kamalakar - Karimnagar constituency
- Ravula Chandrasekhar Reddy - Wanaparthy constituency
Former TDP Politicians
- Nagam Janardhan Reddy - Nagarkurnool constituency
- Jogu Ramanna - Shifted to TRS party
- Pocharam Srinivas Reddy - Shifted to TRS party
- Gampa Govardhan - Shifted to TRS party
- Errabelli Dayakar Rao - Palakurthi constituency, shifted to TRS
- Kadiam Srihari - Politburo member, shifted to TRS
Two MLAs and an MLC of the TDP belonging to Telangana announced that they would join the TRS party. The announcement also hinted that at least 10 more legislators of the TDP would shift their loyalties soon. MLAs K S Ratnam, P Mahender Reddy and P Narender Reddy have met TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao in New Delhi. Feb 25, 2014
In a major embarrassment to the Telugu Desam Party, the party drew blank in the municipal polls in Warangal, Khammam and Achampet Nagar Panchayat in Mahabubnagar district. The polls were held in March 2016.